September 2014

MALDON HARBOUR IMPROVEMENT COMMISSIONERS

AGENDA – 25 September 2014

  1. Apologies for absence.
  2. Declarations of Personal and Prejudicial Interest.
  3. To receive and confirm the Minutes of the Meeting held on 7 August 2014.
  4. Matters arising from the Minutes (not otherwise appearing on either the Agenda or in the Clerk’s Report).
  5. Clerk’s Report.
  6. Treasurer’s Report – the Treasurer to report on any relevant matters.
  7. Temporary Harbour Master for Regatta
  8. Recruitment of Commissioner
  9. Planning Application
  10. MHIC 150th Anniversary
  11. Design of Incident Report
  12. Light Pollution
  13. Sadd’s Wharf
  14. Buoys from the Sea Scouts
  15. Urgent items of business.

NOTE:  The next meeting is scheduled for THURSDAY, 20 NOVEMBER 2014.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING – 25 September 2014

PRESENT:
N Harrisson (Chairman)
N Cardy
A Cheshire
G Courtney
M Gibson
I Hiner
J Howorth
D Patient

The Chairman opened the meeting with some words on David Lawton, drawn from his memorial earlier in the day, acknowledging his outstanding contribution to the work of MHIC.  A Vote of Thanks was taken.  The 150th Anniversary of MHIC in 2015 would be an opportunity for an MHIC memorial to him.

24        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from J Dines (Vice Chairman), A Wiseman.

25        DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTEREST

There were none, other than those declared during the meeting.

26        MINUTES – MEETING 7 August 2014

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 17 August 2014 were formally received.

A change was required for Minute 11, from “Vice-Chairman puts a pontoon down” to “Vice-Chairman puts pontoons down”.  (Post-meeting note – this change has been made.)

It was AGREED that, subject to the above change being made, the Minutes of the Meeting held on 4 August 2014 be confirmed as a correct record.

27        MATTERS ARISING

There was a discussion regarding arrangements for establishing the Fairway.  Reference was made to the MHIC meeting of 9 May 2011 (Minute 2011, No 52, refers).

The Chairman declared an interest.

D Patient, I Hiner, N Cardy and G Courtney agreed to arrange to meet with J Dines to move forward the issue of measurements relating to the Fairway.

28        CLERK’S REPORT

Item 1 – Maldon Port Guide – The Clerk reported that copies are held by the Chairman and that MDC will have about 100.  The invoice has been passed to the Treasurer and MDC will be invoiced by MHIC for half the cost.  A link to the Guide has now been placed on the Visit Essex website at www.visitessex.com/maldon.

Item 2 – Tide Tables for the Website – The Clerk reported that it had been confirmed that a link to the MDC website tide table information is acceptable.

Item 3 – British Ports Association – The Clerk reported that there had been a courtesy phone call from BPA offering their services.

Item 4 – General Purpose Invoice Form – The Clerk reported that MHIC now had a general-purpose Invoice form.

29        TREASURER’S REPORT

MHIC had a balance of £11,852.24.

It was noted that £390 would return from MDC for their share of printing the Port Guide.

30        TEMPORARY HARBOUR MASTER FOR THE REGATTA

D Patient asked if the River Bailiff would be on duty.  G Courtney stated that in the past there had been someone to supervise berthing who could be based on-shore.  SB Kitty had been on the Visitors’ Pontoon for some time, which might pose a problem for visitors’ mooring.  A Cheshire, The Chairman and G Courtney would follow this up.  D Patient reminded the meeting that someone offering advice as a Commissioner is covered by insurance.

A Cheshire would follow up whether the River Bailiff could be on duty 2 pm to 4 pm.

31        RECRUITMENT OF COMMISSIONER

An advertisement had already been placed in the Riverside Association newsletter.

It was AGREED to keep costs down by advertising in local public places.  A Cheshire would follow up the possibility of an article in the local paper.

Selection criteria were discussed with a view to replacing skills.  It was AGREED to set a target of interviewing before the next meeting.

32        PLANNING APPLICATION

A Cheshire declared an interest.

The Planning Application for the development off Station Road was discussed.

It was AGREED that MHIC would raise an objection to the Planning Application FUL/MAL/14/00590 – “Demolition of existing buildings and the construction of residential development together with vehicular/pedestrian access from Station Road, car-parking, landscaping, reservation of land to accommodate a riverside walk and associated engineering works on land adjacent to the River Chelmer access.”

The issues identified were:-
1.         Lack of wharfage.
2.         Loss of location for marine-related businesses.
3.         Acceptance by residents of the impact of noise from marine-related business, given that the river is a 24 hour/7 day commercial area.
4.         Impact of light pollution from the proposed development.

The Clerk would send out an Index document providing a key to the content of the numbered planning documents on the MDC website.

33        MHIC 150th ANNIVERSARY

Suggestions for this celebration were discussed.  G Courtney suggested that a plan could be put together by some Commissioners and then discussed at the next meeting.  G Courtney, J Howorth and I Hiner would meet to put some suggestions together.

34        DESIGN OF INCIDENT REPORT

It was AGREED to have a template Incident Report, based on that used by Poole Harbour.

Further to the SB Thistle incident, an interim bill would be sent out, together with a copy of I Hiner’s report and a copy of the Port Marine Code.

35        LIGHT POLLUTION

A Cheshire has received a letter from M Richards stating that the lights at Blackwater Trading Estate would be adjusted in time for the Regatta.  A Cheshire would respond to M Richards.  The Chairman would take a photograph that evening.

36        SADDS WHARF

There was no official update.  Activity had been observed with respect to contaminated land.  A Cheshire would pursue this with Environmental Health.

37        BUOYS FROM SEA SCOUTS

It would not be possible to use the Sea Scouts’ buoys.

I Hiner stated that, following repairs, there were two good spare buoys which would be used as replacements for No 10 and No 15.  Two new buoys would be needed next financial year.

G Courtney suggested that a permanent sequence number or letter would enable the tracking of each buoy’s history.

38        URGENT ITEMS OF BUSINESS

Item a)            Dredging pipes left out.  This was discussed, identifying safety issues and the role of MHIC.  The Chairman identified the need for clearer guidelines.  D Patient suggested that a reminder letter could come from MHIC regarding taking in the pipes.  G Courtney suggested asking those concerned for their input on issues and remedial measures.  It was AGREED to bring the matter forward at the next meeting.

Item b)            Repairs at Hythe Quay.  MDC has confirmed that the work was out to tender.  There is a possible start date of January 2015.

Item c)            Dredging.  N Cardy stated that this was expected to start in early October.  The Chairman reported that the River Bailiff had informed all mooring-holders and that moorings would be put up on the bank.  The holders could relay them subject to informing MHIC of the location.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 10.00 pm.