November 2014

MALDON HARBOUR IMPROVEMENT COMMISSIONERS

AGENDA – 20 November 2014

  1. Apologies for absence.
  2. Declarations of Personal and Prejudicial Interest.
  3. To receive and confirm the Minutes of the Meeting held on 25 September 2014.
  4. Matters arising from the Minutes (not otherwise appearing on either the Agenda or in the Clerk’s Report).
  5. Clerk’s Report.
  6. Treasurer’s Report – the Treasurer to report on any relevant matters.
  7. Buoy report
  8. Recruitment of new Commissioners.
  9. Planning Application
  10. Water dredging pipes
  11. The Fairway
  12. MHIC 150th Anniversary
  13. Urgent items of business.

NOTE:  The next meeting is scheduled for THURSDAY, 22 JANUARY 2015.

MINUTES OF THE MEETING – 20 November 2014

PRESENT:
N Harrisson (Chairman)
J Dines (Vice Chairman)
A Cheshire
G Courtney
I Hiner
A Wiseman

39        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from M Gibson, J Howorth, N Cardy, D Patient.

40        DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTEREST

There were none, other than those declared during the meeting.

41        MINUTES – MEETING 25 September 2014

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 25 September 2014 were formally received.  It was AGREED that the Minutes of the Meeting held on 25 September 2014 be confirmed as a correct record.

42        MATTERS ARISING

Minute 30 – A Cheshire reported that the River Bailiff would not be available for the Regatta this year.  I Hiner expressed concern of potential safety repercussions.  It was AGREED that this matter be placed on the Agenda for the MDC/MHIC Liaison meeting.

Minute 34 – It was AGREED that a full version of the Incident Report be placed on the MHIC website.

Minute 35 – A Cheshire referred to the response from M Richards, Blackwater Trading Estate (email 23 July 2014) in which he said that he would get the lights adjusted.  Jim Dines had noticed an improvement.

43        CLERK’S REPORT

Item 1 – Passenger Returns for 2014 – The Clerk reported that Passenger Returns were sent out on 30 October 2014.

Item 2 – Meeting with Local Seamarks Auditor – The Clerk would be meeting Trevor Harris, Local Seamarks Auditor early in December to set up the new online reporting system which would replace the current PANAR.

Item 3 – New Commissioners – The Clerk reported that responses from potential candidates were coming in.

44        TREASURER’S REPORT

I Hiner stated that he would be submitting some invoices.

45        BUOY REPORT

It was reported that No 10 buoy had been refurbished and was now on station.  The removed buoy was with I Hiner.  Jim Dines’ contractor had quoted £150 per buoy for the work.  The lifting point would be replaced.

A visual check had been carried out.  No 10 buoy mooring pennant needed replacement.  The ground tackle on the two Harbour Limit buoys needed attention.  Repairs to No 15 were two-thirds complete.

Bird fouling has abated.  The bird spikes seemed to work.  The new plastic buoys: 16, 12, 17 were performing well and bird foul free.

A system of buoy ID was being devised to track buoy history.  Buoys would be marked up with an ID letter.  A – N were in use and L and M were currently out of the water.

46        RECRUITMENT OF NEW COMMISSIONERS

The Chairman reported that notices had been posted in public places and on the website.  Replies had been received.  Commissioners gave their availability for the Interview Panel.  If a candidate were a close friend or family member, then the Commissioner would declare an interest and not serve on that Panel.

47        PLANNING APPLICATION

The objection to the Station Road development 14/00590 had been submitted.

48        WATER DREDGING PIPES

It was noted that some water dredging pipes were still out.  The Chairman suggested that there should be some rules regarding dredging pipes.  I Hiner suggested that a reminder be sent to the Salt Works to get their pipe taken in.

49        THE FAIRWAY

Five Commissioners have approved the pontoon positions (email from D Patient 19 Nov 2014 refers).  It was AGREED that this email was correct.

50        MHIC 150TH ANNIVERSARY

G Courtney reported on the Proposals (see attached Proposals page).  Commissioners affirmed the primary theme which was to promote the work of MHIC.

It was AGREED that the 150th Anniversary be placed on the Agenda for the next meeting.

It was AGREED that there should be a budget of £200 for display boards.

51        URGENT ITEMS OF BUSINESS

Item a)            The Chairman reported that MMO were doing an on-line survey of how easy it was to understand dredging regulations.

Item b)            Sadd’s Wharf.  Concerns were raised regarding contamination from on-going works.  It was AGREED that the Clerk should seek information from the Environmental Officer at MDC.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.45 pm.