January 2016

MALDON HARBOUR IMPROVEMENT COMMISSIONERS

AGENDA – Thursday, 14 January 2016 at 7.00 pm, Maldon Little Ship Club

  1. Apologies for absence.
  2. Declarations of Personal and Prejudicial Interest.
  3. To receive and confirm the Minutes of the Meeting held on 26 November 2015.
  4. Matters arising from the Minutes (not otherwise appearing on either the Agenda or in the Clerk’s Report).
  5. Clerk’s Report.
  6. Treasurer’s Report – the Treasurer to report on any relevant matters.
  7. Items for MDC Liaison meeting, 5 pm 20 January 2016.
  8. Buoy report
  9. MHIC 150th Anniversary Commemorative plaque
  10. Urgent items of business.

NOTE:  The next meeting is scheduled for THURSDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2016

MINUTES OF THE MEETING – 14 JANUARY 2016

PRESENT:
Jim Dines (Chairman)
I Hiner (Vice Chairman)
N Cardy
G Courtney
John Dines
A Fluker
M Gibson (Treasurer)
N Harrisson
J Howorth
D Leggett

37        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

Apologies for absence were received from D Patient, A Wiseman.

38        DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTEREST
There were none, other than those declared during the meeting.

39        MINUTES – MEETING 26 NOVEMBER 2015
The Minutes of the Meeting held on 26 November 2015 were formally received.  It was AGREED that the Minutes of the Meeting held on 26 November 2015 be confirmed as a correct record.

40        MATTERS ARISING
● Granaries Wall (Minute 32 Item 1) – It was reported that the Environment Agency could only use approved contractors and was waiting for a price for a revised basic sheet piling specification.
● Buoy database (Minute 35) – The buoy database had been updated and published on the website.
● 150th Anniversary Plaque (Minute 36) – D Patient had found a reasonably priced foundry to cast the plaque in steel and would place an order.
● Hythe Quay (Minute 37 Item f) – I Hiner commented on water flowing out between the piles.

41        CLERK’S REPORT
Item 1 – Joint River Safety Meeting
The Blackwater Sailing Club had been booked for Thursday, 17 March 2016 for a 7.30 pm start.  They are providing this free of charge.  The notice of the meeting had been published on the MHIC website and circulated to individuals and organisations.  It was suggested that the Clerk contact Ben Brown at MDC for further suggestions for the circulation list.
Item 2 – Passenger Returns for 2015
Passenger Returns for 2015 had all been returned and Invoices would be sent out soon.

42        TREASURER’S REPORT
The Treasurer reported a current balance of £11,273.90.  Expenditure in the last quarter had been less than £320.
There was discussion regarding Passenger Returns and boat tonnage.

43        ITEMS FOR MDC LIAISON MEETING, 5.00 PM, 20 JANUARY 2016
Jim Dines, I Hiner, J Howorth and the Clerk would attend.  The Clerk would inform Ben Brown and circulate the Agenda including any additions from MDC.  The Notes from the previous MDC Liaison meeting would also be circulated.

44        BUOY REPORT
I Hiner and John Dines had carried out a buoy check.  Buoy No 19 had been moved to the edge of the channel and the database updated.  There was discussion regarding its position and depth.  N Harrisson queried the consequences of its new position.  Photographs and charts were examined and the Harbour Guide wording checked.  Discussion included the suggestion of another buoy to prevent vessels from taking a straight line (which could result in running aground).  It was suggested that a note could be placed on the website.  There was a possibility of dredging between No 17 and No 19 to nibble the corner away.  The situation would be monitored during the summer.
Buoy No 10 – In the vicinity – I Hiner and John Dines found and removed a part submerged saturated log, approx 7 m in length.  It showed considerable mechanical damage, possibly due to collision with vessels.
Buoy No 11 – was showing wear.  I Hiner proposed to exchange it with the ex Harbour Limit starboard hand buoy.
Buoy No 13 – was also due for exchange.
Buoy paint is due for delivery.  Buoy numbering would be adhered to as per the database.

45        MHIC 150th ANNIVERSARY – COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE
See Minute 40 above.

46        URGENT ITEMS OF BUSINESS
Item a)       Water leakage at the Quay was discussed.
Item b)       Commissioners thanked D Leggett on his return.
Item c)       G Courtney stated that the Quay was looking good following repairs.  The meeting considered writing to MDC to reinforce this; however, this would be brought up at the impending MDC Liaison meeting.
Item d)       Bradwell Legacy Partnership Meeting
Notes provided by J Howorth were discussed.  There was consideration of the economic status of the Harbour with its high-end marine skills.  There was concern that MDC underestimated businesses on the waterfront.  J Howorth and Jim Dines suggested training and apprenticeship schemes.  A Fluker commented that Burnham on Crouch had lost some traditional skills companies.  Jim Dines will circulate notes to Commissioners to establish the extent of local industries.  There was a general expression of concern regarding maintaining the traditional character of Maldon.
Item e)       Sadd’s Wharf
There was no recent news.  This topic would be added to the MDC Liaison meeting Agenda.
Item f)        Maldon and Blackwater Estuary Coastal Community Team
This would be attended by J Howorth, D Leggett and Jim Dines.