December 2017

MALDON HARBOUR IMPROVEMENT COMMISSIONERS

AGENDA – Thursday, 7 December 2017, at 7 pm, Maldon Little Ship Club

  • 1. Apologies for absence.
    2.  Declarations of Personal and Prejudicial Interest.
    3.  To receive and confirm the Minutes of the Meeting held on 5 October 2017.
    4.  Matters arising from the Minutes (not otherwise appearing on either the Agenda or in the Clerk’s Report).
    5.  Clerk’s Report.
    6.  Treasurer’s Report – the Treasurer to report on any relevant matters.
    7.  To consider the re-appointment of John Dines whose period of appointment ends on 17 December 2017.
    8.  To consider the re-appointment of Daniel Leggett whose period of appointment ends on 17 December 2017.
    9.  Buoy report.
    10.  Light pollution (Promenade Park Tennis courts and any other locations).
    11.  Discharge into the Harbour.
    12.  Feedback from the Siltation Steering Group Meeting, 17 October 2017.
    13.  Dumping Licence.
    14.  Natural England Call for Data.
    15.  Dates for MHIC meetings 2018.
    16.  Date for next MDC Liaison meeting.
    17.  Urgent items of business.
    NOTE:  The next meeting is scheduled for THURSDAY, 25 JANUARY 2018, 7.00 pm.

MINUTES

MINUTES OF MEETING – 7 December 2017
PRESENT:
Jim Dines (Chairman)
I Hiner (Vice Chairman)
M Gibson (Treasurer)
N Cardy
John Dines
N Harrisson
D Patient
A Wiseman

28        APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from G Courtney, A Fluker, J Howorth, D Leggett.

29        DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTEREST
There were none, other than those declared during the meeting.

30        MINUTES – MEETING 5 OCTOBER 2017
The Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 5 October 2017 were formally received.  It was AGREED that the Minutes of the Meeting held on 5 October 2017 be confirmed as a correct record, subject to minor amendments to Minute 27.

31        MATTERS ARISING
●  Buoy Report (Minute 24)  I Hiner had not yet carried out ground tackle maintenance.

32        CLERK’S REPORT
Item 1 – Joint River Safety Meeting February 2018 (Minute 22)
An advance Notice had been emailed out to be followed up in January 2018.  Invitations to guest speakers had been sent out:- Coastguard Agency, Marine Police, Maldon District Council, the River Bailiff, Natural England, the National Trust, Northumbrian Water and the Marine Management Organisation.  R Titchener, Barge Operators’ Group had provided helpful information.
Item 2 – 2017 Passenger Returns (Minute 22)
Request for Passenger Returns had been sent out on 31 October 2017.  Responses had been received for Lady of Avenel, Bertha, Dawn, Pudge and Centaur.  The deadline for Passenger Returns was Monday, 8 January 2018.
Item 3 – MHIC Website heading had been changed from Navigation to Navigation and Safety.

33        TREASURER’S REPORT
The Treasurer confirmed that the Barclays Bank account had been modified to enable incoming bank transfers to be visible (Minute 24).
£10,000 had been transferred to a feeder account, ie a Business Premium account paying interest.  The total balance on the account was £12,832.81.

34        TO CONSIDER THE RE-APPOINTMENT OF JOHN DINES WHOSE PERIOD OF APPOINTMENT ENDS ON 17 DECEMBER 2017
On being duly proposed and seconded, it was AGREED that John Dines be re-appointed as a Commissioner.

35        TO CONSIDER THE RE-APPOINTMENT OF DANIEL LEGGETT WHOSE PERIOD OF APPOINTMENT ENDS ON 17 DECEMBER 2017
On being duly proposed and seconded, it was AGREED that Daniel Leggett be re-appointed as a Commissioner.

36        BUOY REPORT

I Hiner reported that no formal checks had been carried out.  Visual checks found Buoy 19 light dirty.
Harbour Limit Port – galvanised centre ready in stock.  Awaiting 7m and 6m pennants and stainless steel chain.

37        LIGHT POLLUTION (PROMENADE PARK TENNIS COURTS AND ANY OTHER LOCATIONS)
Following a letter from a Harbour User regarding light pollution from the Promenade Park tennis court floodlights, Commissioners considered the lights to be very bright and a hazard.  Commissioners had asked Maldon District Council to investigate.  The Clerk would follow up with the River Bailiff to establish the response from the Parks Department.  The Clerk would also respond to the Harbour User to keep them up to date.
Previous problems of light pollution at Greens and Youngmans would be checked.

38        DISCHARGE IN THE HARBOUR
Commissioners expressed concern and the need for swift action.  MDC would be asked to participate in a site visit.  A Fluker will follow up.

39        FEEDBACK FROM THE SILTATION STEERING GROUP MEETING, 17 OCTOBER 2017
N Cardy identified where dredging would take place.  There was discussion regarding the sewage reclamation plants (CHAS).

40        DUMPING LICENCE (Minute 27a)
The Licence had another two years to expiry, then MHIC might take it over from Northumbrian Water.  This would entail paying the fees.  Risks and liabilities were discussed.  There was further discussion regarding time and cost.  There would be two years to consider it.  Professional assistance would be needed if this were to go forward.

41        NATURAL ENGLAND CALL FOR DATA
Marine GI email dated 30 November 2017 referred.  Commissioners would consider contribution.

42        DATES FOR MHIC MEETINGS 2018
Change of date for MHIC March meeting from 15 March to 22 March was suitable.  The Clerk would go ahead with organising a date for the Annual Public Meeting during week commencing 22 October 2018.

43        DATE FOR NEXT MALDON DISTRICT COUNCIL LIAISON MEETING
Tuesday, 30 January was suggested.

44        URGENT ITEMS OF BUSINESS
Item a)            Dredging Schedule.  N Cardy reported that there were a further fourteen loads to do.  Dredging would stop on 8 December 2017 and recommence in the first week in January 2018.  Dredging would have to stop at the beginning of March 2018.
Item b)            Joint Annual Safety Meeting, 28 February 2018.  Jim Dines would Chair.  I Hiner would take Notes (post meeting note – G Courtney would also assist with Notes).
Item c)            I Hiner presented a plan of a proposed mooring post at the bottom of his garden.  This was considered and there was no reason why this should not go ahead.
Item d)            N Cardy raised the matter of Harbour Dues for Spartacus.  This was discussed.  A Harbour Return would be issued on a March to March basis, commencing March 2018.
Item e)            N Harrisson raised the matter of proposals for Bradwell Power Station.  J Howorth had written to the Maldon and Burnham Standard.  There was discussion regarding radiation, silt and existing problems.  A letter was considered.  Magnox would be contacted to obtain their report(s) on monitoring the Harbour.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.00 pm.