MALDON HARBOUR IMPROVEMENT COMMISSIONERS
AGENDA – Thursday, 10 August 2017 at 7.00 pm to be held in the Maldon Little Ship Club
- 1. Apologies for absence.
2. Declarations of Personal and Prejudicial Interest.
3. To receive and confirm the Minutes of the Meeting and Annual Meeting held on 15 June 2017
4. Matters arising from the Minutes (not otherwise appearing on either the Agenda or in the Clerk’s Report).
5. Clerk’s Report .
6. Treasurer’s Report – the Treasurer to report on any relevant matters.
7. Buoy report.
8. Possible dates for next MDC Liaison Meeting.
9. Items for Agenda for next MDC Liaison Meeting and discussion at this (10 Aug 17, MHIC) meeting:
a) Visitors’ Pontoon – progress?
b) Maldon and Heybridge Masterplan – final submission.
c) Cook’s Tea Room Planning Approval Conditions/Restrictions.
d) Any other items for the MDC Liaison Agenda.
10. Should the Annual Public Meeting be moved to later in the season to avoid being too close to the Joint River Safety Meeting?
11. Urgent items of business.
NOTE: The next meeting is scheduled for THURSDAY, 5 OCTOBER 2017, 7.00 pm.
MINUTES OF MEETING – 10 August 2017
Jim Dines (Chairman)
I Hiner (Vice Chairman)
7 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from N Cardy, D Leggett.
8 DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTEREST
There were none, other than those declared during the meeting.
9 MINUTES – MEETING 15 JUNE 2017
The Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 15 June 2017 were formally received. It was AGREED that the Minutes of the Meeting held on 15 June 2017 be confirmed as a correct record.
10 MATTERS ARISING
● MDC Liaison meeting, 21 June 2017 (Minute 91). G Courtney did not actually attend. There was discussion of Health and Safety.
● Granaries Wall (Minute 92, Item a). N Harrisson commented that the piling had caused cracking of plaster heads in her house. There was discussion regarding the extent of vibration and possible damage from the piling.
11 CLERK’S REPORT
Item 1 – Maldon District Council Liaison Meeting, 21 June 2017
The Notes to the MDC Liaison meeting held on 21 June 2017 had been circulated to Commissioners and MDC.
Item 2 – Date for 2018 Joint River Safety Meeting.
The Clerk was continuing to seek a suitable date avoiding clashes with other events. Wednesday, 28 February 2018 was a possibility. (Post meeting note – this has now been confirmed.)
Item 3 – MHIC Annual Report and Accounts 2016 – 2017
The MHIC Annual Report and Accounts 2016 – 2017 had been circulated.
12 TREASURER’S REPORT
The Accounts had been approved. Cheques had been issued. The current balance was £13,389.80.
13 BUOY REPORT
I Hiner had carried out a visual check of all buoys on 6 August 2017, cleaning top and light as required.
Condition as previous report of 15 June 2017 including the following updates:-
Buoy 19 light cleaned. Buoys 17 and 16 OK. Buoy 15 light cleaned. Buoys 14 and 13 cleaned.
Buoy 11 damage and repairs as previous report, black scuffing seen. Contact with SB Kitty reported, Saturday, 5 August 2017.
Buoy 10 OK, black scuffing seen on buoy.
Harbour Limit Port Buoy light cleaned.
Starboard fibreglass buoy now designated E (ex 9) refurbished and filled with plastic 2l bottles (to prevent sinking if holed). Four coats of green top coat applied. This buoy is now ready for use, only requiring numbers and retro reflective tape.
There was discussion regarding the collision between barge Kitty and the buoy and damage incurred. It was suggested that a letter be sent to Kitty’s owner and skipper, or possibly a meeting.
The positions of buoys 10 and 11 were discussed, considering that as they are the buoys that are hit the most, whether they should be further apart or staggered.
14 POSSIBLE DATES FOR NEXT MDC LIAISON MEETING
12 or 19 September were suggested. The Clerk would liaise with MDC. (Post meeting note – 19 September 2017 was chosen.)
15 ITEMS FOR THE AGENDA FOR THE NEXT MDC LIAISON MEETING
Items confirmed were:-
● Visitors’ Pontoon
● Maldon and Heybridge Central Area Masterplan
● Maldon Regatta. Arrangements for the Regatta were discussed. Risk Assessments were considered. MHIC should have copies of Risk Assessments for Harbour events. G Courtney would provide a Risk Assessment for the Regatta. Commissioners expressed concern that Risks Assessments should be stringently in place. The Clerk and Commissioners would update the Port Marine Safety Code circulation list. The Clerk would circulate a reminder to Harbour Users to provide Risk Assessments.
● Cook’s Tea Room. There was discussion regarding provision for sewage disposal. It was noted that this was not amongst the Conditions in the Planning Permission.
16 MOVING THE ANNUAL PUBLIC MEETING 2018 TO LATER IN THE SEASON
This was discussed, including balancing the spread of public meetings ie the Joint River Safety Meeting (February 2018) and the Annual Public Meeting throughout the year. It was AGREED that the Annual Public Meeting should be moved to October 2018.
17 URGENT ITEMS OF BUSINESS
Item a) Signage above Fullbridge. MDC had placed a sign on the Saltings above the Sunny Sailor and below the Smokehouse.
Item b) Update on the Maldon and Heybridge Central Area Masterplan. The proposed bridge over the Harbour had been removed from the Plan and other changes had been agreed. The Plan was now subject to funding. It was uncertain if or when it would be implemented.
Item c) Granaries Wall. This was now completely finished. It was noted that vibration should be monitored next time any piling took place in the Harbour. (See Minute 10 above.)
Item d) Coastal Path Consultation. This was currently outside the MHIC area, but Commissioners would have an interest in the next section.
Item e) I Hiner asked if a final version of the Maldon and Heybridge Central Area Masterplan was available in hard copy. A Fluker would look into this.
The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.15 pm.