August 2015

MALDON HARBOUR IMPROVEMENT COMMISSIONERS

AGENDA – Thursday, 6 August 2015 at 7 pm, Maldon Little Ship Club

  1. Apologies for absence.
  2. Declarations of Personal and Prejudicial Interest.
  3. Maintenance of Tidal Defence – Granaries Wall.  Phillip McLoughlin, Project Manager, National Capital Programme Management Service, Environment Agency will be present to provide an update.  (This item early in the Agenda to ensure Mr McLoughlin is not kept waiting.  In the event he cannot attend, then this item to come after the Treasurer’s Report.)  (Leaflet and Plans previously emailed to Commissioners.)
  4. To receive and confirm the Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting and the Annual Meeting held on 18 June 2015 (copies attached).
  5. Matters arising from the Minutes (not otherwise appearing on either the Agenda or in the Clerk’s Report).
  6. Clerk’s Report (copy attached).
  7. Treasurer’s Report – the Treasurer to report on any relevant matters.
  8. Buoy report
  9. MHIC 150th Anniversary
  10. Urgent items of business.

NOTE:  The next meeting is scheduled for THURSDAY, 1 OCTOBER 2015, 7.00 pm.

MALDON HARBOUR IMPROVEMENT COMMISSIONERS

MINUTES OF THE MEETING – 6 August 2015

PRESENT:
Jim Dines (Vice Chairman)
N Cardy
I Hiner
J Howorth
D Leggett
A Wiseman

7          APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from N Harrisson (Chairman), G Courtney, John Dines, A Fluker, M Gibson, D Patient.

8          DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL AND PREJUDICIAL INTEREST
There were none, other than those declared during the meeting.

9          MAINTENANCE OF TIDAL DEFENCES – GRANARIES WALL
Phillip McLoughlin, Project Manager, National Capital Programme Management Service, Environment Agency, presented an informal update to the Commissioners.  He expanded on the information provided in the Environment Agency leaflet “Flood wall replacement works: The Granaries, Maldon” which had been given to the Commissioners.  The existing alignment of the wall would be used.  The existing wall would be removed using the cantilege method, with dumpy bags used for anchorage and to act as a flood defence, if necessary.   Sheet piles and land anchors would be used with a facing of concrete beams.  During operations, a silt curtain would be deployed.  The site would then be reinstated.

Further discussion followed.  It was established that the choice of concrete facing beams was for aesthetic reasons to match the existing facing, although wood would provide a natural habitat.  The use of a silt curtain was considered.  The height of the wall was planned to match the current level.  Issues of sea level, drainage and potential contamination were mentioned.

No plant would be in the river and all work would be done at low water.  The only obstruction in the river outside the wall would be the silt curtain.  However, ground anchors would be installed and there would be a cantilevered working platform over the river to a distance of 8 metres, although work will be limited to 5 metres.  Lighting and signage, and a Notice to Mariners (8 metre platform projection) would be required.  Work is planned to start at the end of September, for a minimum of 6 months, maximum of 9 months.

The Vice Chairman thanked Phillip McLoughlin for coming to the meeting.

10        MINUTES – ORDINARY MEETING 18 JUNE 2015
The Minutes of the Ordinary Meeting held on 18 June 2015 were formally received.
It was AGREED that the Minutes required some slight amendment.  To be approved at the next meeting.

10a     MINUTES – ANNUAL MEETING 18 JUNE 2015
The Minutes of the Annual Meeting held on 18 June 2015 were formally received.
It was AGREED that the Minutes of the Annual Meeting held on 18 June 2015 be confirmed as a correct record.

11        MATTERS ARISING
There were none.

12        CLERK’S REPORT

Item 1 – Sadd’s Wharf possible contaminates (Minute 96, Item 1)
Responses have been received from the Environment Agency and Natural England.

The response from the Environment Agency, dated 15 July 2015 indicated that they were generally satisfied with the measures taken.  Point 2 in the letter listed some documents that were not available under the Planning Application No 14/05050.  The Clerk had contacted Chris Purvis, Major Applications Officer, Strategic Planning, at MDC, and he had confirmed that these documents were available under outline application reference OUT/MAL/08/00149.  He identified relevant documents.  The Clerk has computer copies of these files.
Control of waters report.pdf
HBRC051 Remediation Implementation Plan – FINAL.pdf
Sadds Wharf Soil Gas Report_Final_Rev A.pdf
HBRc051 Sadds Wharf Validation Report.pdf

The email response from Natural England, dated 17 July 2015, from Jonathan Bustard noted that the Environment Agency were satisfied, and having reviewed the advice from the EA, Natural England was also “satisfied that the risks arising from the Sadd’s Wharf development on the nature conservation interest of the estuarine environment are acceptably low.”  The email also “welcomes the interest shown (by MHIC) in the quality of the estuarine environment.”

Item 2 – Trinity House – The Quay
Trinity House had contacted MHIC asking for comments on an application from the MMO.  MHIC had responded that it must be informed if any work was planned to be carried out from the water and that any such work must conform to the Port Marine Safety Code and appropriate Harbour Dues paid.  Any spoil that spills over the quay face must be removed from the water.

Item 3 – Station Road – Revised application for supermarket
The Clerk had spoken to Chris Purvis at MDC who had confirmed that this only included the supermarket/Station Road site and did not include the wharf-side area.

Item 4 – MDC Liaison Meeting
Adrian Fluker had spoken to Ben Brown and was pursuing a response.

Item 5 – Annual Report – amendments

A copy of the Annual Report 2014/15 with amendments was presented for the Commissioners’ approval.  It was AGREED that the Annual Report 2014/2015 be confirmed as a correct record.

13     TREASURER’S REPORT
There were no matters to report.

14     BUOY REPORT
No 14 light was cleaned of bird fouling.  Nos 13 and 14 were flagged up for exchange.  Echo sounding carried out on No 19 indicated that it needed to go over 5 – 6 metres.  All other buoys were satisfactory.

15     MHIC 150TH ANNIVERSARY
The display board was currently in the Library and there was feedback that people were stopping to look at it.  An article was appearing in Maldon Life and a talk would be delivered as part of the Maldon Heritage Weekend.

There was discussion regarding the cost and location of commemorative plaque.  A Wiseman had passed a design to the Chairman.  It was AGREED that the plaque should be on the Agenda of the next meeting.

16     URGENT ITEMS OF BUSINESS

Item a)   Granaries Wall
It was AGREED to write to the Environment Agency querying the use of a silt curtain and also to thank Phillip McLoughlin for his presentation.

Item b)   Repairs to Heybridge Sea Lock
It was AGREED to respond to the MMO stating that there was not apparent consequence to the Harbour, however, MHIC concerns would be with an infringement of navigation into the Harbour.

Item c)    Dredging outside Heybridge Lock
It was AGREED to write to MDC to establish if they were aware of any obstruction by material dredged down into the channel.  (Post meeting note:  The obstruction was removed – information from the Chairman.  The letter was not sent.)

The Vice Chairman closed the meeting at 8.35 pm.